You’ll be making these Instant Pot Smashed Potatoes more than once! This simple recipe is so easy to make but yields the most delicious results. Best of all, it’s easy to customize and adjust to your own taste!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
An Instant Pot is a great kitchen tool to make quick meals on busy weeknights. Here’s a recipe for smashed potatoes that makes a delicious side dish.
Just add some grilled meat, and a fresh salad with tomatoes and lots of greens – and there’s your quick, easy and healthy dinner.
- potatoes – you can use whatever kind you like, this recipe works with any kind of potato!
- water – used to cook the potatoes.
- butter – what’s better than potatoes with some butter?
- parsley – just one idea for a topping that will add flavor to your smashed potatoes.
How to Make Instant Pot Smashed Potatoes
- Scrub 12 potatoes well with a small brush. We’re using red potatoes we grew in our small vegetable garden this year. Use whatever kind of potatoes you like for this recipe!
- Pour one cup water into the instant pot insert and add the steamer basket. Put the washed red skin potatoes into the Instant Pot.
- Place lid onto the instant pot. Turn valve on lid to sealed position. Press pressure cook or manual button and set timer to 30 minutes.
- It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure then cook another 30 minutes. Once the pot stops counting and beeps, release the pressure from the valve on the lid.
- Remove potatoes with tongs and put cooked potatoes into a large bowl. Lightly mash with pats of butter, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with parsley.
- sour cream
- bacon bits
- diced onions
- red pepper flakes
- Need to keep your smashed potatoes warm after cooking? You can just add more water to the bottom of the Instant Pot and then keep it on the Keep Warm setting. This is something I do if someone isn’t going to be home right away. It does make the skin more moist so just be aware.
- To smash all of your potatoes at the same time to the same degree, place the cooked potatoes on a baking sheet, then use another baking sheet to apply equal pressure. (This is a great step to hand off to one of your kids if they like to help in the kitchen).
- Serve them individually or mash them around a little bit in a large bowl.
- Present all of the toppings in their own bowls on the side so everybody can customize their smash potatoes how they like!
More Recipe Ideas
- These Healthy Pumpkin Muffins are perfect for a fast breakfast.
- Money tight? Check out these 15 cheap healthy dinner recipes!
- 18 ways you can use baking soda to clean your whole house.
- Holidays coming up? Grab the kids and make these adorable Santa Nutter Butter Cookies for a festive treat!
Instant Pot Smashed Potato Recipe
If you enjoy this recipe for smashed potatoes, please be sure to rate it 5 stars below! And print this off or save it to your recipes folder!
- 12 potatoes, scrubbed with skins on
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp parsley
Toppings for Smashed Potatoes (optional)
- grated cheese
- sour cream
- bacon bits
- Pour one cup water into the instant pot insert. Place the steamer basket inside.
- Add in washed (skins on) potatoes. Place lid onto the instant pot.
- Turn valve on lid to sealed position.
- Press pressure cook or manual button and set timer to 30 minutes.
- It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure then cook another 30 minutes.
- Once the pot stops counting and beeps release the pressure from the valve on the lid.
Serving Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Serve individually or lightly mash the potatoes in a large bowl
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle parsley over top.
- Serve toppings separately in dishes so guests can choose their own.
- If you want you can add more water and then keep on the keep warm setting. It does make the skin more moist so just be aware.
- Sandwich the cooked potatoes between two baking sheets to smash them all in one go.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
First Published November 2020; Updated August 2021