Making these roasted Parmesan Broccoli Stems means never throwing out Broccoli stalks again! Flavorful, tender, and a great way to create a simple side dish and eliminate food waste!
Why You’ll Love Parmesan Broccoli Stems
For years I have cut the broccoli florets off the stalk and steamed the florets for our dinner vegetable. But, what to do with the broccoli stems? Truth – I always threw them out.
Because, what was there to do with them? They are thick especially down at the base of the stalk. Really thick. Not that tasty.
The top part of the broccoli stalk closer to the florets was much thinner and frankly, it tasted a lot better. So along with a lot of other people, I just tossed the main part of the stalk after cutting away the florets.
Until I found this awesome way to actually use the stalks and benefit from all that fiber and vitamins E and K. Plus, I am lowering the amount of food waste in our house, because we are eating the entire head of broccoli.
Now, I discovered even more ways to use broccoli stems, more on that later. First let me share this side dish recipe for Roasted Broccoli Stems with you – it’s the perfect way to use up an entire head of broccoli.
It is so simple to make this quick appetizer and you only need 5 simple ingredients. As long as you have these on hand, you’re good to go!
- broccoli stems – if you’re chopping up a head of broccoli, be sure to save the stems!
- extra virgin olive oil – helps the broccoli stems get crispy and tender
- Parmesan cheese – gives your dish a boost of cheesy flavor.
- salt and pepper – use as much or as little as you prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 425° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove all the broccoli florets from the stalk. Then peel the broccoli stalks by taking off the tough outer layer of the broccoli stalk. It will be more tender once that outer part is taken away. Slice the peeled stem into 1/8 inch pieces. You want the broccoli slices to be thin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced broccoli stems, Parmesan cheese, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Use tongs to toss the broccoli slices so that the cheese, oil, salt and pepper are evenly distributed.
- Spread them out evenly on a parchment paper covered rimmed baking sheet. Single layer is definitely the best.
- Roast in preheated oven for about 15 minutes. When the broccoli is tender and golden brown, it’s ready so pull it out.
- Remove from oven and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Transfer the roasted broccoli stalks to a serving platter. Serve immediately.
What to Do With Broccoli Stalks?
There are several other ways to use up the stalks, especially if you cut the broccoli stem into small pieces. Then try one of these options:
- add to beef or chicken stew with other vegetables
- saute them with pretty much any type of other vegetable
- add them to a salad
- turn them into a broccoli stem salad where they are the main attraction
- add them with other vegetables and turn them into a vegetable soup broth
- This recipe also works great with cauliflower stems.
- Use a variety of other seasonings to boost the flavor profile: paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, or anything else you happen to have on hand. These broccoli stems pair well with just about any seasoning combination!
- When roasting, be sure to give the stems enough room on the baking sheet. If they’re touching and overlapping, they won’t roast as evenly or thoroughly. You may have to do this in batches or on two baking sheets, depending on how much broccoli you have!
- Another way to ensure even roasting is to flip the stems about halfway through the baking time.
Enjoy Roasted Parmesan Broccoli Stems as a side dish for dinner or as a snack!
- These Easy Deviled Eggs are always a hit with the family.
- Got to eat and run? Take these with you – Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins.
- 14 of our favorite Potato Side Dish Recipes – all in one place.
Parmesan Broccoli Stems Recipe
If you enjoy this idea for using your leftover broccoli stalks, please be sure to rate it 5 stars below! And print this off or save it to your recipes folder!
- 4 cups Broccoli Stems, sliced
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Fresh Parmesan Cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove all florets from the head of broccoli. Peel the stalks to remove tough outside layer.
- Slice the stem into 1/8 in pieces.
- Add sliced broccoli stems, extra virgin olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl.
- Use tongs to mix ingredients together, so that the cheese, oil, salt and pepper are evenly distributed.
- Arrange the mixture evenly on the parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- Roast in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until the broccoli is tender and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Unsaturated Fat: 0g
First Published January 2021; Updated September 2021